Thursday, October 21, 2010

A Five Letter Word

Sometime last year, Rodney did something that he thought would be so funny. He said, “Girls, I’m gonna whisper a five letter word in your Mom’s ear, and you’re going to see her hit the ceiling.” I, being a completely rational, calm person, said “No way. Bring it on.” I leaned back against the banister and challenged him to go for it, because there just isn’t any five letter word in the English language that’s going to upset me. Pshaw!
He leaned in and whispered “C-H-I-N-A” and guess what I did? Went nuts! NO WAY!!! ARE YOU CRAZY??? WE’VE ONLY HAD ELIJAH A YEAR AND YOU WANT TO DO THIS AGAIN????? WE’ VE ALREADY GOT FOUR KIDS AND YOU WANT MORE????? WHAT ARE YOU THINKING MAN?????!!!!!!

You should have seen that gloating look in his eyes. Yep. He got me.

It’s funny how it worked out though. Over the course of the rest of the year, there were times when I thought, “Yeah, I DO feel like God is calling us to adopt again and I think we can do this,” but Rodney would be the one with cold feet. Then we’d flip-flop and he would think it was a good idea and I would be back to thinking No Way! Then one day in January, we were talking with our dear friends and the conversation came up about us adopting again, and somehow… SOMEHOW we were both on the same page at the same time and we both said YES!

It’s so amazing to look back and see God’s hand in all of this. We worked as fast as we possibly could to get our homestudy done and our dossier put together so we could send it off to China. I truly don’t think I could have done it any faster. So, by the time we sent it to China and it was logged in, the first available list we could receive a referral from was the June 21st “midnight” list. The one our daughter was on. I’ve been told that our agency probably locked her file in the first 15 seconds or so of it coming out. (Just another reason I love WACAP so much!) I have no doubt God worked it all out in His perfect timing, preparing our hearts, ironing out the details, making everything come together just right so that we would be matched with HER. Cuz’ you know, He’s just that good.

It’s not uncommon for people to ask us why we would want to adopt again. I mean, five kids is a lot even in America these days. Depending on who we’re talking to, we may give a brief answer, or we may take the time to share our faith and explain to them how we truly believe each of the children God has blessed us with – whether by birth, or thru the amazing process of adoption – is a gift from Him. In honor of our 5th child, Rodney thought this would be a fun way to express our belief.



Of course, people will either get it or they won’t. But we get it. And love it!

Psalms 127: 4-5
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them.

4 comments:

  1. LOVE it! :)

    First time visitor to your blog from RQ. I'm certain I'll be back. Feel free to pop over to ours as well. Congratulations on your growing family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect! What a blessed family you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mom,
    just wanted to say that I can remember that day well!!! GREAT job on the blog mom,
    olivia

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, so happy for your family and for precious Sophia! Can't wait until she is safe in your arms. We will pray for your family ~ May God bless you all!

    ReplyDelete